Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August 10, 2009
Today was the end of our tech sessions, which is a relief. We presented our portfolios and had to hand in an electronic form of our presentation. Now I can concentrate on the language proficiency interview, which is tomorrow.
On Saturday we had a field trip to Garni, where there is an old pagan temple and a church nearby. The scenery was magnificent, almost overshadowing the buildings. It’s amazing to see these buildings that were built without today’s machinery. At the temple there was also a bath house, which had intricately designed mosaics in the floors.
Sunday afternoon I went into Yerevan, the capital city, with the two daughters-in-law who live in my house. One of them actually lives in Yerevan during the school year. We got off the bus right as it entered the city where there is a viewing area from which you can see the whole city. There are stairs that go down into the city. At regular intervals there are rest areas, that have gorgeous gardens and waterfalls in them. We had dinner at her mother’s house and then walked around the city. There is a lake in Yerevan, I think it’s manmade, and around that there’s some outdoor cafes and benches for sitting. Our final stop was Republic Square, which is a large gathering place in front of the Art Museum. There is a reflection pool in front of the museum which has fountains in it. At night, they play music over loudspeakers and the fountains have different lights in them and they synchronize the fountains spraying with the music. It was just beautiful. It reminded me of the fireworks they do in NY which are also synchronized with music. We sat at an outdoor café drinking beer while we watched the show. Since it was Sunday night, I was reminded of Music in the Park in Greensboro.
Sitting in that café last night, I couldn’t help but be amazed that I was actually in Armenia doing something as common as that. It is hard to forget that this is a very different place than America at times like that. I’m halfway around the world and yet I felt a very strong connection to my home city.
August 11, 2009
I passed my language proficiency interview today. What a relief. Not that I’m all that proficient in this language, but I can at least make myself understood for the most part. I can in to a store and buy what I need, I can call for a cab, and I can other things like that. I will definitely get a tutor when I get to my village because I really do want to be more proficient in Armenian. But for now I can breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy my accomplishment. Everyone felt the same way today.
August 12, 2009
This morning some of us volunteers from my village got up to watch the sunrise come over the mountain. It was absolutely beautiful. It was also a bit sad to realize that in 2 days we will be moving to our new sites and not be together. While we are all glad to have training behind us, it’s bitter sweet because we will be scattered over the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment